dude is a gender neutral term if you think differently you are wrong
This thing about Nazi being an insult will always be one of my favourite things about history
I DIDN’T KNOW THIS BUT NOW I DO AND I’M REALLY HAPPY ABOUT IT
- Nazi is a Bavarian nickname for Ignatius.
- Bavarians were the hillbillies of Germany and Nazi was their Bubba/Billy Ray.
- The official name of Hitler’s political party could be shortened to Nazi.
- His rivals thought it was hilarious, he didn’t.
- When those rivals fled Germany, they complained about the Nazis.
- Non-Germans didn’t get the joke and thought Nazi was official.
Queerplatonic: a hella useful word that everyone should know.
n. the sense that the future is arriving ahead of schedule, that all those years with fanciful names like “2013” are bursting from their hypothetical cages into the arena of the present, furiously bucking the grip of your expectations while you lean and slip in your saddle, one hand reaching for reins, the other waving up high like a schoolkid who finally knows the answer to the question.
n. the frustration of knowing how easily you fit into a stereotype, even if you never intended to, even if it’s unfair, even if everyone else feels the same way—each of us trick-or-treating for money and respect and attention, wearing a safe and predictable costume because we’re tired of answering the question, “What are you supposed to be?”
n. a hypothetical conversation that you compulsively play out in your head—a crisp analysis, a cathartic dialogue, a devastating comeback—which serves as a kind of psychological batting cage where you can connect more deeply with people than in the small ball of everyday life, which is a frustratingly cautious game of change-up pitches, sacrifice bunts, and intentional walks.
n. the inexplicable urge to push people away, even close friends who you really like—as if all your social tastebuds suddenly went numb, leaving you unable to distinguish cheap politeness from the taste of genuine affection, unable to recognize its rich and ambiguous flavors, its long and delicate maturation, or the simple fact that each tasting is double-blind.
Words to keep inside your pocket:
- Quiescent - a quiet, soft-spoken soul.
- Chimerical - merely imaginary; fanciful.
- Susurrus - a whispering or rustling sound.
- Raconteur - one who excels in story-telling.
- Clinquant - glittering; tinsel-like.
- Aubade - a song greeting the dawn.
- Ephemeral - lasting a very short time.
- Sempiternal - everlasting; eternal.
- Euphonious - pleasing; sweet in sound.
- Billet-doux - a love letter.